Posted by: Becka | March 31, 2011

Hot Water Again!

I am so happy to report that after 4 days (and a 5th morning) without hot water, we have hot water again!  On Sunday afternoon, while I was doing the dishes, the hot water stopped working.  After some investigating we found that we had run out of propane (0ops).  It had been 8 months since we had the company out to refill our tank, and we just forgot to check it. 

They couldn’t make it on Monday, but were out on Tuesday and filled our tank nice and full.  When we got home on Tuesday night, Matt tried to turn our tankless hot water heater on.  No power.  Okay.  So…we waited a few hours.  Dealt with some other problems that had come up that day, and around 10pm returned to the hot water heater problem.  By 11:30, after checking the outlet, all the fuses, and anything else he could think of, my husband still couldn’t get the hot water heater to get any power.

Cold showers were not an option.  With the outside temperature being in the 40s for the last week and barely reaching 50s and 60s before that, the water coming from our really deep well…is frigid.  Pretty sure taking a shower in that would be like jumping into a body of water cold enough to give you hypothermia.  My hand was numb after a few seconds of testing to see if the hot water was working.  I was not about to subject my entire body to that iciness.  🙂  We have taken showers though. lol  We would just have to get up earlier in order to have time to take a shower at my in-law’s house.  My great friend, Karen, who happens to live across the street, kindly offered me the use of her shower once she heard about our problem.  Yay!  Not as long to trek.  So nice of her.  I appreciate it, Karen, and should we ever have a similar problem again, I’m taking you up on that offer!

Yesterday between work and church, we made a run to Radio Shack to buy new fuses (even though we were pretty sure that wasn’t the problem).  Matt attempted to do some problem solving with the Tech Support, but what they told him didn’t work, and when he tried to call back, it was after 5pm and Tech Support wasn’t available after 5pm. 

This morning as I was passing the school to do my weekly grocery shopping, I saw my husband leaving.  When I got home, I found he had taken a few hours off of work (or as long as it took, really) to try to fix the problem.  After about an hour on the phone with the technician, the problem was solved.  Come to find out, there was a short in our system.  In the end, Matt just had to tighten a few screws and BAM!  – hot water.  Yay!  I’m so relieved.  I’m also extremely thankful that we didn’t have to call a technician out to our house  just so he could tell us that we had a few screws loose.  😀


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: